I found this lovely gem for $20 at The Hope Chest, a resale furniture store in Wayzata where all proceeds go to breat cancer research.
I decided to give chalk paint a try since there is no prep work required, no sanding, no priming, no nada! It sounded great to me. After multiple coats of the paint, I then learned I needed to start a tedious process of waxing… No thanks. So after some Google education, I learned about the short cut of using Polycrylic spray. Since I kept the original top, which will get all the wear and tear, I was okay with not having a super protective coating.
Deciding between knobs:
Finished and placed in the guest bedroom:
And, before and after: